Perry Nelson-USA TODAY Sports

Anaheim Ducks Battle The Oilers But Fall In Overtime

The Anaheim Ducks came into Edmonton ready to take back first place in the Pacific Division. The San Jose Sharks lost last night to the Winnipeg Jets 4-3. A win tonight by the Ducks would put them back in first place.

Nick Bonino started on the top line and scored just 35 seconds into the game. Shortly after the goal, Daniel Winnik and Matt Hendricks got in a fight. The Ducks received a power play as Hendricks got an instigator penalty. The Ducks would get a couple of chances, but failed to score on the power play.

The Ducks then gave up a 2-on-1 break and Sam Gagner scored to tie the game 1-1. Teemu Selanne then had a partial breakaway, but the puck bounced and would not settle for him. The next best chance came as Corey Perry had a partial break away, but Scrivens made a toe pad save. Ryan Getzlaf followed up with a chop at the puck, but Scrivens was able to cover up.

Stephane Robidas made a good hit on David Perron, but the referee called matching two minute minors on both players. The Ducks had a couple of good chances, but failed to score during 4-on-4 play. Hendricks took a run at Sami Vatanen with a knee and was called for a two minute minor penalty. The Ducks would not do much and failed to score on the power play.

The Ducks and Oilers were tied 1-1 at the end of the first period.

Getzlaf opened the period with a great shot that beat Scrivens five hole. The puck trickled to the goal line and Taylor Hall would knock it out of the crease just before it could cross the line. Matt Beleskey had the next great chance, but hit the post. Jakob Silfverberg had Scrivens down and out, but couldn’t elevate the puck and Scrivens made a great save with his goal stick. The Ducks poured on the pressure, but could not find the back of the net.

The Oilers would get another 2-on-1 breakaway and Jordan Eberle scored to take the lead 2-1. The Ducks would answer as Pat Maroon scored to tie the game. Shortly after the goal, Matt Beleskey and Hendricks dropped the gloves. Jonas Hiller made a big save as the final horn sounded at the end of the second period.

At the end of the second period the score still tied at 2-2.

To open the third period Robidas was called for an interference penalty against Taylor Hall. The Ducks killed the penalty. Getzlaf and Perry had a 2-on-1 chance in which Perry shot the puck wide on the back hand. The Oilers would take the lead as Oscar Klefbom scored his first NHL goal.

Mathieu Perreault had a great backhand chance at point blank range but could not get it past Scrivens. Perreault did score to tie the game a few minutes later on a great pass by Maroon. Perry had a great chance with 31 seconds left but Scrivens made the save. The game would remain tied 3-3 and go to overtime.

In the overtime period the Oilers would get called for two penalties in the first two minutes. The Ducks had a 5-on-3 power play but could not score. Perreault was called for tipping against Boyd Gordon. After the first Oilers penalty expired there was 3-on-3 hockey. Vatanen would try to pass the puck through the neutral zone and Andrew Ference intercepted the pass and scored the game winning goal.

The Oilers won 4-3.

The Ducks did earn a point, but still trail the Sharks by one point for the Pacific Division lead.

Tags: Anaheim Ducks Oilers

comments powered by Disqus