Detroit, MI – The Anaheim Ducks have pushed the Detroit Red Wings to the brink of elimination. The Ducks took a 3-2 lead in the series after an overtime win in Game 5 at Honda Center. The Ducks are going to have to be ready for a desparate Detroit team looking to stay alive and force a Game 7.
Last Matchup: 3-2 (OT)
It was yet another nail-bighter at Honda Center on Wednesday night. The Ducks had to fight back from behind two times after Detroit took a 1-0 lead and later a 2-1 lead. Johan Franzen tallied the first one, followed by a goal by Kyle Palmieri to tie it up at the end of the 1st. Then, Mikael Samuelsson beat Jonas Hiller on a terrible rebound, but Ryan Getzlaf would tie it up on the power play late in the second. The game would go to overtime and the Ducks would waste no time as Nick Bonino scored the game-winning goal with less than two minutes into the extra period after a lovely setup by Ben Lovejoy (hah word play).
Keys to the Game:
- : Zetterberg has played well, but being the captain, his team needs him to pot some goals.
- : Roll four lines successfully, something they weren’t able to do in Game 5.
- : Weather the storm early.
- : Play your game, the Joe is going to be crazy and it’s vital for the Ducks to stick to their game plan.
Players to Watch:
- – C – Damien Brunner: He has shown that he is a rookie at points, but he has been one of Detroit’s best forwards when it comes to getting points.
- – RW – Johan Franzen: I stated earlier in the series that the Ducks could be in trouble if he gets hot, well he’s been hot lately.
- – C – Ryan Getzlaf: He’s the captain for a reason and he has lead this team through this series. It’s also his birthday, so, it would be a nice birthday present for him if the Ducks can get the win tonight.
- – C – Nick Bonino: He’s been a very important player to this team and a bit under the radar. However, he’s a key to this offense with his secondary scoring.
This has been a very exciting series. It’s been fun to watch, at times. However, nothing would make me happier than to see this series end tonight in Detroit. I knew this was going to be a very tough series for the Ducks. The Wings are still a very tough team to play even though some have thought that their time was done. I originally picked the Ducks to win in 7, but I would be perfectly fine with them winning in 6. The less time the Ducks play the Wings, the better. Tonight will be another tough game to watch for Ducks fans. Mike Babcock is going to have his team ready and they are going to put on an onslaught on Hiller and the Ducks defense. Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader will also return to their lineup tonight after serving his 2-game suspension for his hit on Toni Lydman, who didn’t make the trip to Detroit for tonight. Get yo’ popcorn ready!
Tags: 2013 NHL Playoffs 2013 Western Conference Quarterfinals Anaheim Ducks Ben Lovejoy Damien Brunner Detroit Red Wings Honda Center Jimmy Howard Joe Louis Arena Johan Franzen Jonas Hiller Justin Abdelkader Kyle Palmieri Mikael Samuelsson Mike Babcock NHL Nick Bonino Ryan Getzlaf Toni Lydman