Detroit, MI – After the Anaheim Ducks and Detroit Red Wings split the first two games in Honda Center, the series switches to The Joe for an all-important Game 3. The Wings took Game 2 after a furious Ducks rally to send the game into overtime with an overtime winner shortly into the extra period.
Series: 1-1 TIE
The Wings had the better of the play in the first 30 minutes, to take a 3-1 lead into the third period. After an early goal from Johan Franzen in the third period to take a 4-1 lead, the Ducks stormed back to tie it with 3 straight goals from Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne and Bobby Ryan. However, Sheldon Souray took a dumb slashing penalty in the last few seconds of regulation. The Wings capitalize quickly in overtime with a Gustav Nyquist goal.
Keys to the Game:
- : Try to stay healthy, Danny DeKeyser is now out for the playoffs now with a broken thumb.
- : Must be petter on the penalty kill.
- : Get heads into the game early, unlike Game 2.
- : Play smarter, too many bad penalties killed them in Game 2
Players to Watch:
- - RW – Johan Franzen: He had two goals in Game 2 and if he gets rolling, Ducks could be in trouble.
- - D – Brian Lashoff: The 22-year-old rookie will be making his playoff debut tonight. He chosen to get in the lineup over veterans Carlo Colaiacovo and Ian White.
- - D – Luca Sbisa: He is returning to the lineup after his injury replacing Souray who might be getting put on the bench after his costly penalties in Game 2.
- - LW – Bobby Ryan: He didn’t have a good regular season and in Game 2 looked like the Bobby Ryan of old. If the Ducks want to make a run, they need a confident Ryan to play well.
Game 3′s are always some of the most important game of a playoff series. The Ducks have a lot to learn from Game 2. The single most important thing that the Ducks have to change is the penalties. I got so frustrated by their penalties that I’m not going to go on about them anymore. Jonas Hiller has been very good so far. The Ducks could’ve won both of the first two games and they need to keep fighting the way they did in that third period. They believed they could comeback and win. If they continue believing in themselves, they can come out of Game 3 with a dub.
Topics: 2013 NHL Playoffs, 2013 Western Conference Quarterfinals, Anaheim Ducks, Bobby Ryan, Brian Lashoff, Danny DeKeyser, Detroit Red Wings, Gustav Nyquist, Honda Center, Jimmy Howard, Joe Louis Arena, Johan Franzen, Jonas Hiller, Luca Sbisa, Ryan Getzlaf, Sheldon Souray, Teemu Selanne