Today, the Anaheim chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association, PHWA, announced that goaltender Jonas Hiller is nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. The Masterton Trophy is awarded every year to a player in the NHL that best demonstrates the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. Each team has a player nominated and then the PHWA votes on the winner. The trophy is often awarded to players who suffered career or even life-threatening injuries. Therefore, I think Hiller is the best candidate for the Ducks after his problems with vertigo. The only other player on the Ducks roster that would have any chance at winning or even being nominated would be Teemu Selanne, but Hiller is the right choice.
Previous winners include:
- 2010-2011 – Philadelphia Flyers forward Ian Laperriere
- 2009-2010 – Washington Capitals goalie Jose Theodore
- 2008-2009 – Nashville Predators forward Steve Sullivan
Current Ducks to have won:
- 2007-2008 – Jason Blake while with the Toronto Maple Leafs
- 2005-2006 – Teemu Selanne back when the Ducks were the Mighty Ducks
- 2001-2002 – Saku Koivu while with the Montreal Canadiens
Follow us on twitter @DucksDailyBlog!
Follow me on twitter @ddb_sean!