The Anaheim Ducks faced the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight for the battle for the basement. It was probably the most exciting Ducks game I have seen all season. The Ducks won in an exciting fashion with a final score of 7-4.
That was the good news. The bad news was that Jonas Hiller was injured early in the first period, giving way to Iiro Tarkki to make his NHL debut. Although he looked shaky, Tarkki came up with a few key saves during the second period. He stopped 7/10 shots, with two of those goals being flukes.
Corey Perry got his fourth career hat trick and Teemu Selanne also scored two goals. Strong performances all around from the Ducks offense (with the exception of Jacques, who is completely useless).
Check out the game recap below Game Recap/Notes:
- Hiller vs. Mason in net
- 2:14 – Ducks get on the board early when Sbisa’s shot rebounds off Mason and Andrew Cogliano buries in the rebound. (CBJ-0, ANA-1)
- Beleskey on a line with Pelley and Jacques. Thats what happens when you play like crap
- 13:02 – Beauchemin gets the puck just under the Anaheim blue line and blindly banks it off the wall. Ryan picks it up and Corey Perry sends it over Mason’s glove. Beautiful. (CBJ-0, ANA-2).
- Palmieri with a great snipe but Blake can’t get the rebound. Kid is good!!
- 17:31 – Rick Nash gets a fluky goal, as he attempts to send the puck out and it hits off Beauchemin’s ankle and sneaks under Hiller (CBJ-1, ANA-2).
- 18:24 – Getzlaf sends it to Teemu behind the net. Selanne jams it under Mason with the backhand. Thats career goal number 650 for Teemu. (CBJ-1, ANA-3).
- Jonas Hiller with an insane robbery, slow to get up
- 18:59 L – Ryan feeds Koivu on the break, and Koivu wrists it past Mason stick side, just inside the left post. (CBJ-1, ANA-4).
- Iiro Tarkki replaces Hiller, confirming he is injured. First NHL appearance for Tarkki.
- Chris Mason out, Curtis Sanford in for Columbus
- 4:11 – Derek Brassard takes in the puck in the right wing circle and rips a slap shot past a drawn-out Tarkki. A PP goal. (CBJ-2, ANA-4).
- Beleskey drops gloves with Dorsett. Gets dominated the whole time
- Tarkki still hasn’t made his first NHL save. One shot one goal for Columbus
- Hiller officially not coming back this period
- Tarkki with some nice saves! Coming up big
- Ducks heading to a 5-on-3!
- 18:24 – Perry gets his second of the night when Koivu jumps on the puck in the low right circle, and feeds it across the top of the crease to Perry, who sends it in the open net. (CBJ-2, ANA-5).
- 0:27 – Hagman, who pulls the puck back to elude a sliding Methot,feeds Selanne for the chip into the wide open net. Thats 2 for Teemu tonight (CBJ-2, ANA-6).
- Just seconds later, Perry scores after receiving a nice pass from Getzlaf, but the goal is waived off due to a scrum on the other side of the ice.
- Brookbank and Boll drop gloves, good fight.
- 4:27 – Ryan trips and causes a turnover. Rick Nash is all over and wrists one in (CBJ-3, ANA-6).
- 14:06 – Another fluky goal for the Jackets, as the puck is sent into the crease, where Sbisa gets his stick on it, and Tarkki actually drags it under himself with his stick. Dorsett credited (CBJ-4, ANA-6).
- Jacques causes a 5 minute major for an elbow, Ducks manage to kill it off.
- Corey Perry scores the empty net to give him a hat trick!!!! (CBJ-4, ANA-7).