The Anaheim Ducks and the Chicago Blackhawks play for the second time this season as the Blackhawks visit Anaheim to play a Black Friday afternoon game.
Season Series: 1-0 CHI
Last Matchup: 3-2 CHI/SO
The last time these two teams met, it was the first game of the Ducks seven-game road trip that started this huge drop in their level of play. The Ducks played a pretty good game in my opinion. The Ducks actually mustered 30 shots on goal, I think that might be the last or only time they’ve gotten 30 shots on goal. Getzy scored a power play goal in the first minute of the second period to give the Ducks a 1-0 lead. Later in the second, Marian Hossa tied it up for the Blackhawks but Teemu gave the Ducks the lead back late in the period. Patrick Sharp tied it up in the third period and the game went into overtime. However, neither team scored in overtime so it went to a shootout. Jonathan Toews and Teemu Selanne both scored early in the shootout, but Patrick Kane netted the winner for the Blackhawks in the third round of the shootout.
Breakdown of the ‘Hawks:
The ‘Hawks are coming off a shutout loss to the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night. Former Blackhawk goalie Antti Niemi was the star of the game as he made 34 saves and stole two points for the Sharks. The Blackhawks were all over the Sharks for the majority of the game. Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith led the team in shots with 7 and 6 respectively. The Blackhawks were not able to capitalize off of four power plays as Niemi made save after save, including a highlight reel save on Toews late in the third period. The Blackhawks have taken a beating in their last three games, losing them all and being outscored 15-4 in the process. They’re near the end of a two-week road trip as the circus takes over the United Center in Chicago. Now they did play much better in San Jose after taking two beatings in Calgary and Edmonton, but overall they have been a .500 team on the road this season. However, with players like Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith and Brent Seabrook, the Blackhawks can never be taken lightly.
Keys to the Game:
- CHI: Don’t change anything from the last game. They played very well at San Jose.
- CHI: Put the puck in the net, but that shouldn’t be that much of a problem against the Ducks.
- ANA: Find themselves.
- ANA: Find their teammates.
Players to Watch:
- CHI – D – Steve Montador: You may be wondering why he is here but with five points in his last five games, he is hot.
- CHI – RW – Marian Hossa: Currently leading the Blackhawks in points with 23 in 21 games played.
- ANA – C – Andrew Cogliano: Four points in the last three games. He is finally starting to show consistent life and energy.
- ANA – RW – Teemu Selanne: Him and Cogliano seem to be the only players to watch for the Ducks recently and for good reason.
Not much I can say here. If the Ducks don’t turn it around soon, possibly now, the Ducks season could be over very early.
Follow us on twitter @DucksDailyBlog!