Okay, so the Ducks were able to steal a point in the Freeway Face-Off Part 1 last night. Had it not been for Hiller, the game wouldn’t have even gone to over time let alone a shoot out. Tonight is Part 2 at the Honda Center.
Season Series: 1-0 Kings
Last night the Kings really dominated most of the game. The Ducks played their best in the third period where they tied the game 1-1 and sent it to overtime on a Teemu Selanne power play goal. The Kings got on board in the second period when Mike Richards took a rebound off the boards and put it in a basically open net, also on the power play. The Kings had the majority of the chances the whole game until the third period came around and the Ducks finally showed some consistent offensive pressure. Dustin Brown might’ve had the best game out of all of the Kings as he was zooming all over the ice, creating opportunities and playing great defense. However, that could be said about a lot of the Kings as they, once again, played a great all-around game.
The overtime was pretty exciting, but then again so was the third period. I thought both teams had quality chances to end the game in the overtime, the Kings probably had more opportunities though. Then, when overtime couldn’t decide the game, it went to a shoot out. Once again, Hiller was great and Quick was solid as well. A Jarret Stoll snipe put the Ducks in a must-score position and Ryan Getzlaf delivered with a nice shot off the far post and in to tie it back up. However, before those two shots, Teemu Selanne attempted his famous head/shot fake with a quick wrist shot up top and barely missed and he had Quick beat. Then, Justin Williams scored on another simple quick wrist shot to beat Hiller. It was then up to…………………………Kurtis Foster. Yeah, I know, terrible decision by Carlyle. I would’ve rather seen Devante Smith-Pelly shoot before Foster shoots, and you guys know my opinion on Smith-Pelly, I think he’s terrible. So, anyway, Foster shoots right into Quick to end the game. But, the Ducks stole a point and set up a very interesting Part 2 tonight!
Breakdown of the Kings:
Keys to the Game:
- LAK: Like last night, take advantage of the Ducks penalties with their very good power play.
- LAK: Not much they need to change, play the way they played last night.
- ANA: 6 penalties is absolutely way too much.
- ANA: Score some goals to help out Hiller.
Players to Watch:
- LAK – Mike Richards: Three goals in his last four games means he’s hot and he plays the game the right way.
- LAK – Jonathan Quick: Getting a chance to start both games in this Freeway Face-Off series.
- ANA – Teemu Selanne: Best offensive player for the Ducks so far this season.
- ANA – Dan Ellis: Starting in net tonight for Hiller, he’s got some big shoes to fill after last night’s performance by Hiller.
Part 2 tonight and it should be another good one. A more consistent game from the Ducks should make it better. Not much else I can say besides I’m looking forward to this one.